The Saint John’s Prep Knowledge Bowl Team finished 1st at the Class “A” division Knowledge Bowl State Meet. The top forty-eight teams, out of over 800 across the state, competed at the Minnesota Service Cooperatives’ State Knowledge Bowl Meet held at Cragun’s near Brainerd on April 12th and 13th, 2012.
At the state meet, four person teams compete against one another in one written and five oral rounds of interdisciplinary questions for a total of 285 questions. Success at the competition requires the ability to work as a team, as well as knowledge of a variety of areas and study and the ability to recall that information quickly. Prep won all five oral rounds soundly and ended up winning the meet by 21 points over 2nd place. They finished the meet with 141.5 points, the highest State score in school history and the 6th highest score in Minnesota State Knowledge Bowl history.
Knowledge Bowl is sponsored by eleven Service Cooperatives around the state.
2012 Minnesota Knowledge Bowl Class A State Champions (L to R):
- Brenden Wichman, junior, son of Robert and Sharon Wichman of St. Cloud
- Christian Gaetz (spokesperson), senior, son of Rick and Rose Gaetz of St. Joseph
- Hank Dudley, senior, son of Eric and Tanya Dudley of Cold Spring
- Emiliana Cofell, senior, daughter of Monica Cofell of St. Joseph and David Cofell of St. Cloud
- Isaac Bohart, senior, son of Andrew and Patty Bohart of Lincoln, NE
- Coach Charles Miller, Physics instructor at Saint John’s Prep